Quantcast

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pre-Pub Book Buzz: Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon

I generally enjoy the books I read. In fact, it's rare that I don't like a book. But I do have to say that even among my favorites, I have my favorite favorites. Jennifer McMahon is one of these authors. An amazing writer who popped up just a couple years back with Promise Not to Tell, a book that was getting big, big buzz in the book world.

I discovered it on the Booksense (now Indiebound) list and searched it out so I could see what all the hype was about. You can read more about that here. So now, her latest, Don't Breathe a Word, is set for release on Tuesday and I was lucky enough to get my hands on an early copy. (Fangirl squeal!)

In the book, a twelve-year-old girl (Lisa) disappears. Fifteen years later, her brother and his girlfriend (Sam and Phoebe) receive a letter saying that she's back. After a weekend visit with Sam's cousin ends very strangely, Phoebe decides that she's going to unravel the mystery.

The story alternates between the present and fifteen years ago when Lisa disappeared. Lisa, who claimed that she'd met the king of the fairies, was entranced by a neighboring ghost town. She, Sam, and their cousin explored the ruins every chance they had. But someone started leaving gifts for Lisa and she swore it was the fairies. Present day, Phoebe has never had the kind of family Sam grew up with. The two are happy together, but Phoebe was there the day Lisa disappeared. She saw the sad little boy looking out his window. Phoebe, who used to fear the man under her bed, wants to know what Lisa found and where she went. Does the fairy king exist? Will he come for Phoebe next?

I'm purposely trying to be a bit cryptic, I really don't want to give away too much, so I'm trying to be careful how I phrase the synopsis. Trust me when I say that Don't Breathe a Word is really, really a fantastic and dark and twisted read.

Actually it was a week of satisfyingly twisted reads in my house. I may need to lighten it up a bit in the aftermath, but man this was a super reading week! I highly recommend all of McMahon's titles that I've read so far. Promise Not to Tell, Island of Lost Girls, and now Don't Breathe a Word are each amazing thrillers. Smart, well plotted, and hypnotically gripping! Also perfectly chilling even in the middle of a sunny afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becky, I'm glad you liked this one. It was definitely a chiller for me. I read PROMISE NOT TO TELL over my vacation. Loved it. Can't wait to read other books that the author has written. She's on my "must buy" list from here on out!