Quantcast

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Supernatural Read You Shouldn't Miss!

I'm getting into my horror reads of the month, but first I had to post this one. A few weeks ago, I spent an absolutely fantastic day reading Camille DeAngelis's latest, Petty Magic: Being the Memoirs and Confessions of Miss Evelyn Harbinger, Temptress and Troublemaker.

Oh, how can I express to you just how fabulous Evelyn Harbinger is?! She has got to be one of my favorite characters of the year. I'm not kidding. I've read some fantastic books in 2010 and will be narrowing down my best of list very soon, but Evelyn stands out amongst the crowd as just a wonderfully imagined character.

In the story, Evelyn, a 149-year-old beldame (that's witch to the rest of us), still has a good time putting on a pretty facade and seducing single men. Though she can't keep it up for too long, which is unfortunate when she begins to fall for a man over a century her junior. See, in all her years, Evelyn has only once fallen in love. Jonah died after WWII and she can't help but think of him whenever she is around Justin. Meanwhile, Evelyn's sister has been accused of murdering her ex-husband, whose death occurred years ago. Though it will be tough after all these years, Evelyn and her family are determined to prove her innocence.

Petty Magic is funny and magical -- truly one of the best books you could read all year. This is DeAngelis's second release. Her first, Mary Modern, is something of a play on Frankenstein and Mary Shelley.

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

Hopping by on the blog hop. This book is not on my wishlist. :)