Quantcast

Friday, November 6, 2009

National Bookstore Day

November 7 is National Bookstore Day! The slogan, "Read Locally."

Participating stores will be offering promotions, discounts, and activities including author signings and contests. For a list of stores taking part, check here.

I kind of wish this were bigger. We have one of the two big locals in my area participating, which begs the question, why not the other? I also see on the list that there are NO stores for Louisiana. Not a single one. I know there are indy stores in Louisiana, though they are few and far between (we had none that I can think of in my hometown or where I went to college -- or in between for that matter -- other than the used stores).

I spur of the moment shop anywhere, but when I'm traveling, if I know there are big indy stores in the area, I have to make a trip. I go to Murder by the Book in Houston and drove out to Poisoned Pen while touring ASU one summer. We hit up stores in Nashville and of course, bookstore mecca, New York City is amazing.

If you're a reader, support your indies by making a special trip and buying something great. A fantastic resource you can use to find out which store is closest to you is Indiebound. They have lists of recommended titles, and you can search the stores in your area. So, even if none of your locals are on the list for November 7, you should head out and browse anyway.

No comments: