Quantcast

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Put Him on Your Watch List

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of reading a debut author who I think is going to be great. The book in question was The Cutting by James Hayman, a thriller/mystery set in Portland, Maine and featuring Detective Michael McCabe.

Michael McCabe thought that moving to Portland, Maine would offer a bit of safety and security for his family. When the mutilated body of a teenage girl is discovered and then another woman goes missing, McCabe begins to realize that no place is truly safe anymore. McCabe has his eyes set on a local surgeon, but the man's position makes it difficult to make a case, especially with limited evidence to support his theory. But McCabe also finds evidence that this latest case might be linked to an older unsolved case in Florida.

I hope that this is the first in a series. McCabe is an interesting character, but there were quite a few loopholes in his story (which would suggest that it will continue). The plot itself was really interesting and a little unexpected just based on my very first impressions of what was to come. Overall, a really gripping debut and one that has put Hayman firmly on my "watch for" list.

For another opinion (her review isn't posted just yet -- as I write this), check out Lori's review over at Lori's Reading Corner. I'm a little anxious to see what she thought considering I haven't read any reviews since I finished this book.

You know, I am one of those readers who checks out reviews of books before, during, and after I read them. I'm always curious to know what the rest of the reading world thinks. I think most of us book people do. I mean, c'mon, it's a great way to poach new reads!

Not that many of us need encouragement building out TBR piles! As you've read for the past couple of posts, I'm in the midst of a move and that means uncovering every single pile of titles hidden all over my house.

Fortunately for me, my memory has managed to hold up fairly well where my books are concerned. I'm only just beginning to come across new editions and wonder if it's a title I already own (agh! That means it's downhill from here, folks). I've only (knock on wood) bought one book twice and my friend benefitted from it since I just sent the duplicate onto her. Hey, it was a really intriguing book and I happened to buy two different editions. Now it would be really bad if it was the same exact copy!

But, I'm still of the opinion that you can never have too many new books. Each one is a new adventure for me. Now if only I could afford to support my habit in the way I would like!

No comments: