Quantcast

Friday, February 13, 2009

One of my favorite imports

I'm in love with Simon Pegg. I am. I can't help it. I have been ever since I saw Shaun of the Dead

For Christmas I bought Mike Spaced, the tv show written by Pegg and Jessica Hynes (she's got a cameo in Shaun). The show is about two twenty-somethings who meet while apartment hunting. They decide to go in together for a flat that's advertised for a "professional couple." Of course, hilarity ensues thanks to their pretend relationship and other events. 

I love it. We're just into the second season (disc two of the set) and it's one of the best shows ever! Nick Frost also stars (Pegg's partner in crime from both Shaun and  Hot Fuzz). Others in the show include Julia Deaken as their crazy landlady and Mark Heap as the crazy artist downstairs. 

If you're a Pegg fan like I am, this show is an absolute must-see. Do what ever you have to do to get your grubby hands on it, it's well worth it. 

Next up on the Simon Pegg horizon is the release of How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, due out on dvd on Tues. I find Pegg's own stuff much funnier, but I'm still looking forward to his portrayal of Toby Young (now a judge on Top Chef). And then in May, Pegg will be starring in JJ Abrams' Star Trek, as Scotty (I can't wait!). Of course there's also the third film that goes along with Shaun and Hot Fuzz, and that's a buddy/road trip flick written by Pegg and Frost, called Paul (according to IMDB that is). There's also another film rumored to be in the making, written by Pegg and Edgar Wright (co-writer of Shaun and Fuzz). So yeah, lots for me to look forward to. 

In other humor news, but still related, Wright is also rumored to be directing a film based on one of Jon Ronson's works. Ronson is the author of The Men Who Stared at Goats, a book about supposed secret government experiments in paranormal studies, the film version of which is currently under production and stars George Clooney and Ewan MacGregor (to name a few). I've read some of Ronson's essays and he's pretty freaking funny, and if you can't tell, I'm kind of picky as far as humor goes. I'm not sure if Men will be a serious film or a humorous one, but I thought you guys might find it interesting. For more on Jon Ronson, visit his site here. And if you need something to do this weekend after your v-day festivities, you can rent Run Fat Boy, Run (I just watched it last weekend and thought it was super cute).

No comments: