Quantcast

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Spoiled

I read pretty fast compared to the average reader. There are others who read even faster than I do, and I am really jealous of them. There are just so many great books out there and not nearly enough time to tackle them all. Every once in a while, I come across these fantastic, one-sitting-reads that leave me literally spoiled. Books that are so fast-paced that I can literally sit and read them in one go. Granted, the timing has something to do with it. If I can sit and devote four hours to any book, I can probably come pretty close to finishing, but these are books that just beg to be read all at once. It kind of ruins me for reading for a few days! Seriously. Most books even I can't read in one go. Everyday life begs attention and other things need to be done, but these seem to find me right at the perfect time that I can put everything on hold and devote all my time to them. 

Throughout my reading years, some of these memorable ones include Mary Higgins Clark's Where are the Children, Harlan Coben's Tell No One, and Minette Walters' Devil's Feather. The list goes on much longer than that, but these are the ones that come to mind as past reads that I recall not moving at all until finishing!

Most recently, Hallie Ephron's amazing debut, Never Tell a Lie, joined the list and right on its heels was CJ Box's Three Weeks to Say Goodbye

Three Weeks is the story of one couple's worst nightmare come true. The McGuanes tried for years to have their own child before trying adoption. They were chosen eighteen months by their daughter's birth mother, to be the parents of her child. At the time, the adoption agency handling the case attempted multiple times to contact the father. The McGuanes were told that it was not unusual to get no response and the adoption was finalized seemingly without issue. After nine months with their daughter, however, just two weeks shy of the deadline to claim her, the father steps forward. Helping him along is his high-powered federal judge of a father. The McGuanes meet with the two and appeal to their good nature but are told that they will have to hand over the child in just three weeks. With the help of their friends, the couple will attempt to use that time to find some way to keep their child, without the help of the courts. No one is willing to go up against the judge, and they're all about to find out why. 

This book is an emotional roller-coaster of a read. I was angry, I was sad, I was shocked and horrified, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Box is well-known for his popular Joe Pickett series, a series I have yet to read, and if this book is any indication, I understand why!

No comments: