Quantcast

Friday, January 2, 2009

A Great Start

I just love it when I get to read a fantastic book. Sure, I actually love most of the books that I read, but I've kind of been in a slump lately for various reasons. Finding the perfect book to pull you out can sometimes be a chore, though. Authors you love and books you've been waiting for aren't always what the doctor ordered if you know what I mean. 

As I write this, the first day of the new year is coming to an end. I woke this morning and did some work (work always beckons). When I finally came to a stopping point, I picked up a book that I had brought with me last week in hopes of reading while I was in Louisiana. I was kind of freaking out because I didn't get to start it and I had stuck it in my duffel bag for easy reach in the car. I still didn't get to start it and I very specifically remembered unpacking it so that it would be the next book that I read. Lo and behold, last night it went mia. I was so mad! I couldn't imagine what I could have possibly done with the thing over the course of one evening!

I finally found it, though, and started it today only to end up completely glued to my seat (or in this case in the hot bath) until I finished it. It was that good! See, perfect for getting out of a slump. And drum roll, the fab read was... well it's no surprise really because the cover is above. Anyway, Hallie Ephron's amazing can't-put-it-down debut, Never Tell a Lie is the perfect thriller! It's got twists and turns and plenty of suspense. 

Ivy and David Rose are finally expecting their first child. In preparation of their expanding family, they decide it is time to clear out some of the clutter in their new house. They hold a yard sale and end up bumping into a woman they both went to high school with. After promising to show the woman around the house, however, she disappears. She was seen entering the home with David but no one saw her leave. Later, her bloody clothes are discovered in a trunk left out for the trash. Of course the police suspect the Roses had something to do with it and an eight month pregnant Ivy is determined to uncover the truth.

The book is the definition of a page turner! Ephron's debut is already earning well deserved buzz from her fellow authors. I can tell you that it's definitely going on my best of 2009 list! Get out those gift cards and look for Never Tell a Lie, on shelves Jan 6!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I will have to add this book to my list to check out