Quantcast

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Not To Be Missed

I found Nancy Pickard back during my days at Waldens. At the time, she was writing a trilogy about a true crime writer. I wish she had had more installments to this series because I absolutely adored it. If you can find them, I highly recommend you seek them out. They are:

The Whole Truth
Ring of Truth
The Truth Hurts

All three Truth titles seem to still be in print. 

Pickard also had an earlier series about amateur sleuth Jenny Cain and continued a series started by Virigina Rich. 

In 2006, Pickard's latest book was released in hardcover. When I saw it I immediately snatched it up and ran home to read. She didn't disappoint. 

The Virgin of Small Plains is a cold case of sorts and the story is told through two different timelines. 

There's the past: 1987 when the body of a teenage girl is found naked in a snowy field. Young Abby Reynolds and her boyfriend were taking the next step in their relationship when Mitch up and disappears. 

Then there's the present: Seventeen years later, Mitch returns and Abby finds herself drawn to him once again. Secrets that the townspeople thought were buried long ago are now beginning to surface and Abby is determined to find out just what caused Mitch to leave in the first place. 

I loved Virgin and was so excited when I had the opportunity to meet Pickard at this year's Left Coast Crime (and get my copy signed, yay!). I wish I could say that Pickard has something new in the works, but I haven't heard anything. One can hope she'll have something out soon, but if you haven't read her yet, you have some time to catch up. 

4 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I read "Virgin of Small Plains" and loved it. I didn't know she had a series of books out. Will definitely have to check it out.

Anna said...

I haven't heard of this author. The book sounds interesting, so I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

--Anna
http://diaryofaneccentric.blogspot.com

Michele said...

This book was one of my best read for 2007. I loved it! I highly recommend it to everyone. Great review.

avisannschild said...

Great review! I just wanted to let you know that I mentioned it here.