Quantcast

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Now do it twice as fast!

I think my brain is on strike these days! I have so many books to read this week and next (trying to review them all). I have this policy - if it gets sent to me, I review it. Sometimes things fall through the cracks, but overall, I feel I have to review everything. If I've requested it, it can't possibly be set aside. So this week and next are tight and my head doesn't seem to be cooperating!

On my nightstand this week are:

Lisa Unger's Black Out
Duane Swierczynski's Severance Package
Gary Braunbeck's Coffin County
Christie Craig's Weddings Can be Murder
Delaune Michel's Safety of Secrets
Rachel Gibson's Not Another Bad Date
The Weddings From Hell anthology
Toni McGee Causey's Bobbie Faye's Kinda Sorta Not Exactly Family Jewels

I'm trying to read Jordan Dane's No One Lives Forever and Steve Martini's Shadow of Power all the while working on the GA book that is due June 2. Of the above list, I can set aside a few, I just don't want to. I want to read them all.

They all look fantastic - some of the authors are new to me and others I have read before. I loved Toni Causey's debut Bobbie Faye title. The fact that it takes place around the town that I grew up in makes it that much more fun. Delaune Michel's title also takes place in my hometown (she's related to James Lee Burke and Andre Dubus). Lisa Unger, of course, is fantastic. Black Out is a new stand-alone that I've been itching to read. And, once upon a time, I read a really old Gary Braunbeck book. He writes horror and I'm anxious to see if he can break my bad streak with the genre.

The nightstand is beginning to bow in the middle from all the weight! My package from The Stand should finally arrive today with my copy of Nicholas Pekearo's Wolfman. Aside from Wolfman and Terri Persons's latest, Blind Rage, the rest of the box is pretty much vacation reads.

Ah, the dilemma of being a book junkie. If only these were the only things that I had to worry about - what books to read and when - I would be a very happy person! The flip side would be never having anything to read and I just couldn't face that!

Mike's out to NYC next week and maybe the worry is causing some of my delay here. Once he's gone, I'm sure I'll be reading a ton just so I don't think about the fact that he's not here (or worry about him way over there). Don't worry, I'll walk the dog so that she doesn't go mad, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, I have stopped accepting most requests to review that come through email. If a book comes through snail mail, I will read and review it. Good thing that many don't come through the USPS system. :)

Becky LeJeune said...

I don't turn down anything that I actually want to read. This is a very odd week for me - I usually don't have this many. My goal is to get to a point where I am on the lists and I get random titles all the time! :)

Unknown said...

Hi, Becky. I'm working with DeLaune Michel, author of one of the books on your nightstand (THE SAFETY OF SECRETS). I thought I'd let you know that if you would like to schedule a Q&A with DeLaune for your blog, I'd be glad to arrange that for you. Thanks, Jennifer Richards.

Becky LeJeune said...

Jennifer, that would be fantastic. I'd have to come up with some questions and such (unless you have some suggested ones as I know some PR groups do). Shoot me an e-mail at moecatj@msn.com and let me know where I can contact you.

Tez Miller said...

Ooh, me want Weddings from Hell! Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be published in Oz, and I don't think HC is willing to ship here (Penguin US isn't) :-(

Have a lovely day! :-)

Cheryl said...

I want to read Wolfman. You will have to tell me how you liked it